Ulcerative Colitis Epidemiology Analysis and Forecast to 2031
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Ulcerative Colitis Market Report Overview
In the 8MM, there were 1,946,428 diagnosed prevalent cases of Ulcerative Colitis (UC) in 2021. The cases are expected to achieve an AGR of less than 1% during the period 2021-2031. Of the 8MM, Canada is expected to have the highest increase in the number of diagnosed prevalent cases of UC by 2031, and Italy will have the lowest increase in the number of diagnosed prevalent cases. Any change in the diagnosed prevalent cases of UC is attributable to the changing prevalence rates and regression trend analysis in the US, France, Spain, the UK, and Japan as well as the changing population demographics in the 8MM.
Ulcerative colitis (UC) is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) characterized by chronic inflammation and ulcers (sores) in the large intestine, also called the colon and rectum. The inflammation usually begins in the rectum and lower colon, but may also spread continuously to involve the entire colon.
The Ulcerative Colitis market research report provides an overview of the risk factors, comorbidities, and the global and historical epidemiological trends for UC in the eight major markets (8MM: US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, and Canada). The report also includes a 10-year epidemiology forecast for the diagnosed incident cases and diagnosed prevalent cases of UC.
Ulcerative Colitis Market Outlook, 2021-2031 (Diagnosed Prevalent Cases)
For more insights into the Ulcerative Colitis market forecast, download a free report sample
Ulcerative Colitis Market Segmentation by Age
Depending on age, the UC market can be segmented into 0-9 years, 10-19 years, 20-29 years, 30-39 years, 40-49 years, 50-59 years, 60-69 years, 70-79 years, and 80 years or above.
In 2021, for the 8MM combined, adults aged 50–59 years contributed the highest proportion of the diagnosed prevalent cases of UC, followed by the age group 60–69 years.
Ulcerative Colitis Market Analysis, by Age, 2021 (%)
For more age insights into the Ulcerative Colitis market, download a free report sample
Ulcerative Colitis Market Segmentation by Sex
Based on sex, the UC market can be segmented into men and women.
In the 8MM, the number of diagnosed prevalent cases of UC was higher in men than in women combined.
Ulcerative Colitis Market Analysis, by Sex, 2021 (%)
For more sex insights into the Ulcerative Colitis market, download a free report sample
Ulcerative Colitis Market Report Overview
|Market Size (2021)||1,946,428 cases|
|AGR (2021 – 2031)||<1%|
|Key Age Segments||0-9 years, 10-19 years, 20-29 years, 30-39 years, 40-49 years, 50-59 years, 60-69 years, 70-79 years, and 80 years or above|
|Key Sex Segments||Men and Women|
Segments Covered in the Report
Ulcerative Colitis Market Age Segments Outlook (Diagnosed Prevalent Cases, 2021-2031)
- 0-9 years
- 10-19 years
- 20-29 years
- 30-39 years
- 40-49 years
- 50-59 years
- 60-69 years
- 70-79 years
- 80 years or above
Ulcerative Colitis Market Sex Segments Outlook (Diagnosed Prevalent Cases, 2021-2031)
- The diagnosed incident cases and diagnosed prevalent cases of UC are segmented by age (for all ages in 10-year age groups for ages 0–9 years up to 80 years and older), and sex. The diagnosed prevalent cases of UC are also segmented by severity (mild-moderate, moderate-severe, and severe-fulminant) and anti-tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-responsiveness (TNF-responding, and TNF-non-responding). The report also provides the proportion of diagnosed prevalent cases of UC that develop pouchitis and post-operative UC. The model associated with the report additionally provides the total prevalent cases of UC segmented by age (for all ages) and sex.
- This epidemiology forecast for UC is supported by historical data obtained from peer-reviewed articles and population-based studies. The forecast methodology was kept consistent across the 8MM to allow for a meaningful comparison of the forecast incident and prevalent cases of UC across these markets.
Reasons to Buy
The UC epidemiology series will allow you to:
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global UC market.
- Quantify patient populations in the global UC market to improve product design, pricing, and launch plans.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the age groups that present the best opportunities for UC therapeutics in each of the markets covered.
Table of Contents
- List of Tables
- List of Figures
- About GlobalData
- 1 Ulcerative Colitis: Executive Summary
- 1.1 Catalyst
- 1.2 Related reports
- 1.3 Upcoming reports
- 2 Epidemiology
- 2.1 Disease background
- 2.2 Risk factors and comorbidities
- 2.3 Global and historical trends
- 2.4 8MM forecast methodology
- 2.4.1 Sources
- 2.4.2 Forecast assumptions and methods
- 2.4.3 Diagnosed incident cases of UC
- 2.4.4 Forecast assumptions and methods: diagnosed prevalent cases of UC
- 2.4.5 Diagnosed prevalent cases of UC by severity
- 2.4.6 Post-operative UC cases
- 2.4.7 Pouchitis in diagnosed prevalent cases of UC
- 2.4.8 Diagnosed prevalent cases of UC by anti-TNF-responsiveness
- 2.5 Epidemiological forecast for UC (2021–31)
- 2.5.1 Diagnosed incident cases of UC
- 2.5.2 Age-specific diagnosed incident cases of UC
- 2.5.3 Sex-specific diagnosed incident cases of UC
- 2.5.4 Diagnosed prevalent cases of UC
- 2.5.5 Age-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of UC
- 2.5.6 Sex-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of UC
- 2.5.7 Diagnosed prevalent cases of UC by severity
- 2.5.8 Pouchitis cases and post-operative UC cases
- 2.5.9 Diagnosed prevalent cases of UC by anti-TNF responsiveness
- 2.6 Discussion
- 2.6.1 Epidemiological forecast insight
- 2.6.2 COVID-19 impact
- 2.6.3 Limitations of the analysis
- 2.6.4 Strengths of the analysis
- 3 Appendix
- 3.1 Bibliography
- 3.2 Primary research – prescriber survey
- 3.3 About the authors
- 3.3.1 Epidemiologist
- 3.3.2 Reviewers
- 3.3.3 Vice President of Disease Analysis and Intelligence
- 3.3.4 Global Head and EVP of Healthcare Operations and Strategy
- 4 Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
How many diagnosed prevalent cases of Ulcerative Colitis (UC) were seen in the 7MM in 2021?
In 2021, 1,946,428 diagnosed prevalent cases of Ulcerative Colitis (UC) were seen in the eight major markets (8MM).
What is the growth rate of the Ulcerative Colitis (UC) market?
The cases are expected to achieve an AGR of less than 1% during the period 2021-2031.
Which country among the 8MM, is expected to have the highest increase in the number of diagnosed prevalent cases of UC by 2031?
Of the 8MM, Canada is expected to have the highest increase in the number of diagnosed prevalent cases of UC by 2031.
What are the key age segments in the Ulcerative Colitis (UC) market?
The key age segments in the Ulcerative Colitis (UC) market are 0-9 years, 10-19 years, 20-29 years, 30-39 years, 40-49 years, 50-59 years, 60-69 years, 70-79 years, and 80 years or above.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.