The global wine market was valued at $313.5 billion in 2020 and is forecast to record a CAGR of more than 6% during 2021-2025. Western Europe represented the largest region for the global wine market in 2020, followed by Asia-Pacific, the Americas, Eastern Europe, the Middle East & Africa. Among all the regions, Asia-Pacific is forecast to record the highest value CAGR during 2021-2025, primarily due to the improving economy and rising numbers of women in the workforce in its major market, China. The increasing purchasing power will remain the major macroeconomic factor driving the sector, globally.
Global wine market overview
For more insights on this report, download a free report sample
What are the market dynamics in the global wine market?
The large proportion of millennials in the top 10 wine markets, globally can be attributed to the sector growth as wine consumption among the millennials has increased in 2020 from 2019. During the pandemic, notably, the younger consumers were more inclined towards digital commerce. Therefore, making wine easily accessible to consumers via digital platforms has boosted brand sales. The perpetuation of online services by wineries helped in strengthening the consumer base in the near future.
Rising health consciousness among consumers across the world is driving the demand for natural and organic wines. Manufacturers will be challenged to develop wines using ingredients produced using organic farming and production methods while maintaining the taste and the freshness of the product. Consumers have increasingly become environmentally conscious, owing to the growing awareness about the impact of climate change on the environment. Therefore, making consumers consciously choose products with sustainability claims. Manufacturers will have to adopt eco-friendly production and packaging in the future to maintain their market share.
What are the product classifications in the global wine market?
The different product categories in the global wine market are still wine, sparkling wine, and fortified wine. In 2020, still wine remained the largest category followed by sparkling wine and fortified wine.
Global wine market, by product
For more segment insights, download a free report sample
What are the top regions and countries for the global wine market?
In 2020, the global wine market was led by Western Europe, followed by Asia-Pacific and Americas regions. The high-potential countries identified were Japan, China, South Africa, Canada, Brazil, Sweden, Spain, the Netherlands, Poland, and the Czech Republic.
Out of the top 10 high-potential countries, China was the leading wine market in 2020 followed by the US. However, in volume terms, the US-led the wine market and accounted for more than 15% of the global volume sales in 2020. Over 2020-2025, Nigeria is expected to record the highest value growth, followed by China and Syria.
Global wine market, by region
For more regional insights, download a free report sample
Who are the major players in the global wine market?
The top five companies in the global wine market accounted for a volume share of more than 10% in 2020. In 2020, the sector is led by E. & J. Gallo Winery, followed by The Wine Group LLC and Constellation Brands, Inc., Treasury Wine Estates Vintners Limited, and Accolades Wines.
Global wine market, by key companies
To know more about key players, download a free report sample
Market report scope
|Market size (Year – 2020)||$313.5 billion|
|Growth rate||CAGR of >6% from 2021 to 2025|
|Base year for estimation||2020|
|Product segmentation||Still wine, Sparkling wine, Fortified wine|
|Distribution channels||Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, E-retailers, Food & Drinks Specialists|
|Regional coverage||Americas, Western Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and Eastern Europe|
|Key companies||E. & J. Gallo Winery, The Wine Group LLC, Constellation Brands, Inc., Treasury Wine Estates Vintners Limited, and Accolade Wines.|
This report brings together multiple data sources to provide a comprehensive overview of the global wine sector. It includes analysis on the following –
- Sector Overview: Provides an overview of the current sector scenario regarding the future outlook in terms of ingredients, product claims, labeling, and packaging. The analysis also covers a regional overview across five regions- Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, Americas, Western Europe, and Eastern Europe- highlighting sector size, growth drivers, latest developments, and future inhibitors for the region.
- High-Potential Countries: Provides risk-reward analysis of the top four high-potential countries in each region based on market assessment, economic development, socio-demographic, governance indicators, and technological infrastructure.
- Country and Regional Analysis: Provides deep-dive analysis of 10 high-potential countries covering value growth over 2020-2025, key challenges, consumer demographics, and key trends. It also includes regional analysis covering the future outlook for the region.
- Competitive Landscape: Provides an overview of leading brands at a global and regional level, besides analyzing the product profile, country-level presence, market share, and growth of private labels in each region.
- Key Distribution Channels: Provides analysis on the leading distribution channels in the global haircare sector in 2020. It covers Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Food & drinks specialists, Department Stores, Convenience Stores, “Dollar Stores”, Variety Stores & General Merchandise Retailers, Cash & Carries & Warehouse Clubs, Drug stores & Pharmacies, eRetailers, Vending machines, and Others.
- Preferred Packaging Formats*: The report provides percentage share (in 2020) and growth analysis (during 2015-2025) for various packaging materials, containers, closures, and outer types based on the volume sales (by pack units) of haircare products.
Reasons to Buy
- To have a thorough fact-based analysis with information about the global wine industry across the five regions in value terms and the underlying factors that are driving the sales.
- To gain confidence to make the correct business decisions based on a detailed analysis of the industry and to identify high-potential countries over the next 5 years.
- The analysts have placed a significant emphasis on the megatrends that drive consumer choice and will provide a clear picture of the future opportunities that can be explored across the regions, resulting in revenue expansion.
- To gain competitive intelligence about leading brands in the industry at the global and regional level with information about their sector share, business descriptions, and product profiles.
E. & J. Gallo Winery
The Wine Group LLC
Constellation Brands Inc.
Treasury Wine Estates Vintners Limited
Table of Contents
Part 1: Sector Overview
Current Scenario and Future Outlook
Global Wine Sector Overview – What Are the Growth Drivers, Latest Developments, and Future Inhibitors?
Regional Wine Overview – What Are the Growth Drivers, Latest Developments, and Future Inhibitors?
Key Challenges in the Global Wine Sector
Part 2: Shift in Consumption Patters
Reasons for Shift in Consumption Patterns
Change in Consumption Levels
Part 3: Identifying High-Potential Countries
Analysis of 10 Countries on the Basis of Risk-Reward Analysis (Market Assessment, Economic Development,
Socio-Demographic Factors, Governance Indicators, and Technological Infrastructure
Part 4: Country Deep Analysis
High-Potential Country Analysis
Part 5: Competitive Landscape
Leading Companies by Value – Global
Leading Companies’ and Brands’ Share Analysis – Global
Leading Companies’ and Brands’ Share Analysis by Region
Part 6: Competitive Landscape – Market Analysis
Part 7: Market Share of Private Label
Private Label Share Analysis by Region
Private Label Share Analysis by Category
Part 8: Key Distribution Channels
Share of Key Distribution Channels – Global and Regional Level
Part 9: Key Packaging Formats
Growth Analysis by Key Pack Material and Pack Type
Growth Analysis by Closure Type and Primary Outer Type
List of Tables
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Global
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Asia-Pacific
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Middle East & Africa
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – The Americas
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Western Europe
Key Markets by Value (US$ Million), 2020 vs. 2025 – Eastern Europe
Japan – Category Share
China – Category Share
South Africa – Category Share
Canada – Category Share
Brazil – Category Share
Sweden – Category Share
Spain – Category Share
The Netherlands – Category Share
Poland – Category Share
Czech Republic – Category Share
Leading Wine Companies by Value – Global
Key Pack Material Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Pack Material (%), 2015-2025
Key Pack Type Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Pack Type (%), 2015-2025
Key Closure Type Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Closure Type (%), 2015-2025
Key Primary Outer Volume Share (%), 2020
Annual Volume Growth by Primary Outer (%), 2015-2025
List of Figures
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Asia-Pacific
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Middle East & Africa
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Americas
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Western Europe
Identifying High-Potential Countries, Risk-Reward Analysis – Eastern Europe
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Global
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Asia-Pacific
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Middle East & Africa
Company and Brand Share Analysis – The Americas
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Western Europe
Company and Brand Share Analysis – Eastern Europe
Key Brands – Fortified Wine, 2020
Key Brands – Sparkling Wine, 2020
Key Brands – Still Wine, 2020
Private Label Value and Share by Region, 2015-2020
Private Label Value Sales (US$ Million) and Share (%) by Category, 2020
Leading Distribution Channels by Region (% Share by Value), 2020
Frequently Asked Questions
The total global wine market was valued at $313.5 billion in 2020.
The global wine is projected to grow at a CAGR of more than 6% during the period 2021-2025.
Key lines of business in the global wine market include still wine, sparkling wine, and fortified wine.
Western Europe led the global wine market in 2020, followed by the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East and Africa.
In 2020, hypermarkets & supermarkets were the leading distribution channel for wine products globally followed by food & drink specialists, convenience stores, and e-retailers.
Glass is the most used pack material in the global wine market followed by paper & board, rigid plastics, and others.
In 2020, the sector is led by E. & J. Gallo Winery, followed by The Wine Group LLC and Constellation Brands, Inc., Treasury Wine Estates Vintners Limited, and Accolades Wines.