Production from Chile, Peru and the DRC will be crucial for the global supply growth in 2022. Copper production from the top five countries increased in 2021 and global coal production is set to increase in 2022 linked to rising demand for low-cost energy and demand from the steel and cement sectors. India and the US are expected to post a strong rise in output. Russia, on the other hand, is expecting to see a significant decline in its annual coal output in 2022. Meanwhile, the new government in Australia intends to set more aggressive carbon targets, and establish a federal corruption watchdog, but seems to have refused to phase out coal use or block the opening building of new coal mines.
Global iron ore production is expected to remain flat in 2022. The ongoing Russia-Ukraine war is also expected to reduce Russia’s iron ore output in 2022. In contrast, strong growth is expected from Brazil and Australia while production from China, on the other hand, is also expected to remain flat in 2022 and in upcoming years.
Mining Industry Demand Drivers
Having made good progress in recovering from the severe downturn recorded in 2020 amid the widespread disruption caused by restrictions imposed to contain the spread of COVID-19, the global construction industry is again facing severe headwinds. There is a high degree of uncertainty over the short-term outlook following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, and the war will exacerbate existing supply chain disruptions and put even greater upwards pressure on energy prices, which will further drive-up prices for key construction materials. Performances across countries and regions will vary greatly, but South Asia and North America will be the best performers when comparing output in 2022 to the pre-COVID-19 levels.
Battery minerals such as lithium, cobalt, nickel and graphite, as well as copper, are expected to experience significant growth in the coming years, due to the booming electric vehicle (EV) market. Several amalgamations are taking place to leverage the supply chain. For example, Galaxy Resources and Orocobre are merging to create Allkem, which will be the fifth most-valuable lithium producer in the world. With the exception of India, the top 10 steel-producing countries in the world all experienced a drop in crude steel production during January to April. Global coal-fired power generation rebounded strongly in 2021, spurred by rising gas prices in the US and Europe and increased economic activity in China. Global demand for electricity is gradually rising across Asia, particularly China and India. Strong economic growth, combined with colder winters and warmer summers, boosted global electricity demand in 2021.
Key Commodities in the Mining Industry
The key commodities in the global mining industry are gold, silver, platinum, iron ore, South African coal, copper, nickel, lead, zinc, tin, and aluminum.
Leading Miners in the Mining Industry
The leading miners in the mining industry are BHP Billiton Limited, Rio Tinto Plc, Anglo American Plc, Glencore Plc, Vale S.A., ArcelorMittal SA, Freeport-Mc MoRan Inc., Teck Resources Limited, Barrick Gold Corporation, and Antofagasta.
Mining Industry, by miners
To know more about miners, download a free report sample
Market report overview
|Key commodities||Gold, Silver, Platinum, Iron Ore, South African Coal, Copper, Nickel, Lead, Zinc, Tin, and Aluminum|
|Leading Miners||BHP Billiton Limited, Rio Tinto Plc, Anglo American Plc, Glencore Plc, Vale S.A, ArcelorMittal SA, Freeport-McMoRan Inc, Teck Resources Limited, Barrick Gold Corporation, and Antofagasta.|
- Analyse mineral commodity trends at a global level.
- Track ESG developments in mining industry.
- Company production highlights for Q1 2022 and guidance for 2022.
- Analyse project developments in the mining industry.
- Compare number of development projects in the mining industry by country, commodity, and company.
- Track latest mining industry developments.
- Geographies covered include – Asia-Pacific, Americas, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Oceania, and Former Soviet Union.
- Analyse impact of coronavirus on the global mining industry.
- Track construction output growth.
- Analyse automotive and electric vehicle sectors.
- Track coal-fired electricity and crude steel production highlights.
Reasons to Buy
- Comprehensive evaluation of all development projects by commodity, country, and company.
- Assess trends in project momentum.
- Analyze forecasted production trends for core commodities.
- Understand latest trends with capex guidance for leading miners.
- Track latest company developments.
- Comprehensive evaluation of the impact of coronavirus on the global mining industry.
- To understand ESG-related developments in the mining industry.
- To understand end-use sectors such as construction, automotive, electric vehicles, crude steel and coal-fired electricity generation.
Table of Contents
Development Projects Update
Technology in Mining
ESG in Mining