Country Profile: Prepared Meals sector in Canada
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The Prepared Meals sector in Canada in the North American region, accounted for 14.4% value share. Changing lifestyles, increasing consciousness about health and changing eating patterns are driving demand for Prepared Meals sector in the country. Of the three markets in the sector, Ready Meals is the largest in both value and volume terms. Hypermarkets & Supermarkets accounted to the largest share of distribution for Prepared Meals in the country, while Rigid Plastics remained most commonly used packaging material in the sector. Stouffer’s and Michelina’s are the leading brands in the Prepared Meals sector both in value and volume terms.
GlobalData’s Country Profile report on the Prepared Meals sector in Canada provides insights on high growth categories to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, types and closures category level distribution data and brands market shares.
What else is contained?
– Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2016-2021
– Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Meal Kits, Pizza and Ready Meals with inputs on individual segment share within each category and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
– Leading players: Market share of brands from 2011-2016
– Distribution data: Value shares within each category through channels such as Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists and more
– Packaging data: consumption breakdown for packaging materials and containers in each category, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Packaging material data for flexible packaging, rigid plastics, rigid metal and others; container data for: film, trays, tubs, foils and others.
– The Canadian Prepared Meals sector is the second largest after US with a value share of 14.4% in the North America region.
– The Prepared Meals sector in Canada is forecast to grow at CAGR of 2.6% during 2016–2021.
– Ready Meals is the largest value and volume market in the Prepared Meals sector.
– Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel, followed by Convenience Stores and Food & Drinks Specialists.
– Rigid Metal is the most commonly used packaging material, followed by Flexible Packaging.
Reasons to Buy
– Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
– Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
– Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
– Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
– Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Prepared Meals products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
– Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
– The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
– Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.
Dr. August Oetker Kg
Mccain Foods Limited
H. J. Heinz Company
Hormel Foods Corporation
Kraft Foods Group
Nossack Food Group
Riviana Foods Inc.
Dole Food Company
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. REPORT SCOPE 6
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 7
3. CANADA IN ITS REGIONAL CONTEXT 9
3.1. CANADA’S MARKET SHARE IN THE GLOBAL AND NORTH AMERICA PREPARED MEALS SECTOR 9
3.2. CANADA COMPARED TO OTHER MAJOR COUNTRIES IN THE NORTH AMERICAN REGION 9
4. MARKET SIZE ANALYSIS – PREPARED MEALS SECTOR 11
4.1. VALUE AND VOLUME ANALYSIS – PREPARED MEALS SECTOR IN CANADA 11
4.2. PER CAPITA CONSUMPTION ANALYSIS – CANADA COMPARED TO THE GLOBAL AND NORTH AMERICA REGION 12
4.3. MARKET SIZE AND GROWTH ANALYSIS BY PREPARED MEALS MARKETS 13
4.4. GROWTH ANALYSIS BY MARKETS 14
5. MARKET AND CATEGORY ANALYSIS 15
5.1. PER CAPITA CONSUMPTION ANALYSIS BY MARKETS 15
5.2. MARKET ANALYSIS: MEAL KITS 16
5.3. MARKET ANALYSIS: PIZZA 19
5.4. MARKET ANALYSIS: READY MEALS 21
6. DISTRIBUTION ANALYSIS 24
6.1. DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE ANALYSIS: PREPARED MEALS 24
6.2. DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE ANALYSIS: MEAL KITS 25
6.3. DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE ANALYSIS: PIZZA 26
6.4. DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL SHARE ANALYSIS: READY MEALS 27
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE 28
7.1. BRAND SHARE ANALYSIS BY SECTOR 28
7.2. BRAND SHARE ANALYSIS BY MARKETS 30
7.3. BRAND SHARE ANALYSIS BY CATEGORY 34
7.3.1. Meal Kits 34
7.3.2. Pizza 35
7.3.3. Ready Meals 36
7.4. PRIVATE LABEL SHARE ANALYSIS 38
8. HEALTH & WELLNESS ANALYSIS 40
8.1. MARKET SIZE ANALYSIS BY HEALTH & WELLNESS CLAIMS 40
8.2. MARKET SIZE ANALYSIS – HEALTH & WELLNESS PRODUCT ATTRIBUTES 41
8.3. MARKET SIZE ANALYSIS – HEALTH & WELLNESS CONSUMER BENEFITS 42
9. PACKAGING ANALYSIS 44
9.1. PACKAGING SHARE AND GROWTH ANALYSIS BY PACKAGING MATERIAL IN THE PREPARED MEALS SECTOR 44
9.2. PACKAGING SHARE ANALYSIS BY PACKAGING MATERIAL IN PREPARED MEALS MARKETS 45
9.3. PACKAGING SHARE AND GROWTH ANALYSIS BY CONTAINER TYPE IN THE PREPARED MEALS SECTOR 46
9.4. PACKAGING SHARE ANALYSIS BY CONTAINER TYPE IN PREPARED MEALS MARKETS 47
9.5. PACKAGING SHARE AND GROWTH ANALYSIS BY CLOSURE TYPE IN THE PREPARED MEALS SECTOR 48
9.6. PACKAGING SHARE ANALYSIS BY CLOSURE TYPE IN PREPARED MEALS MARKETS 49
9.7. PACKAGING SHARE AND GROWTH ANALYSIS BY OUTER TYPE IN THE PREPARED MEALS SECTOR 50
9.8. PACKAGING SHARE ANALYSIS BY OUTER TYPE IN PREPARED MEALS MARKETS 51
10. MACROECONOMIC ANALYSIS 52
10.1. GDP PER CAPITA 55
10.2. POPULATION AND POPULATION GROWTH 56
10.3. CONSUMER PRICE INDEX 57
10.4. POPULATION BREAKDOWN BY AGE 58
11. METHODOLOGY 59
12. DEFINITIONS 60
13. APPENDIX 71
14. ABOUT GLOBALDATA 80
15. DISCLAIMER 81
16. CONTACT US 82
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.