Country Profile: Savory Snacks Sector in the UK
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The Savory Snacks sector in the UK is driven by Increasing disposable income and high degree of urbanization in the country. Of the seven markets, Processed Snacks is the largest in value terms, while Pretzels is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2016-2021. Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the leading channel for the distribution of savory snacks in the country. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used packaging material in the sector and is fastest growth during 2016-2021. Walkers and Pringles are the leading brands in the UK Savory Snacks sector.
GlobalData’s Country Profile report on the Savory Snacks sector in the UK provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
What else is contained?
– Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021
– Market coverage: Value and growth analysis for Ethnic/Traditional Snacks, Meat Snacks, Nuts and Seeds, Popcorn, Potato Chips, Pretzels and Processed Snacks with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
– Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
– Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
– Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack type in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Metal, and Rigid Plastics, and others; pack type data for: Bag/Sachet, Film, Stand Up Pouch, Can, Speciality container, Tray, and Jar.
– The Savory Snacks sector in the UK accounted for 30.1% volume share in the Western European region in 2016
– The top five brands accounting for 36% share in 2016.
– The Savory Snacks sector in the UK is forecast to grow at 6.5% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
– Pretzels is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2016-2021
– Per capita consumption of Potato Chips is noticeably high in the UK compared to global and regional levels
Reasons to Buy
– Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
– Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
– Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
– Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
– Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Savory Snacks products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
– Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
– The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
– Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.
Kohinoor Food Ltd.
Spices of India Ltd.
The Snack Co.
Tyrrells Potato Crisps Ltd
Jack Link`s Nz Ltd.
Kerry Group Plc
Rügenwalder Spezialitäten Plüntsch GmbH & Co.
The Jerky Group
The Meatsnacks Group
Tulip Food Company A/S
the Me(at) snack
Blue Diamond Growers
Bobbys Foods PLC
East End Foods
Fudco Gefen LLC
Intersnack Group GmbH & Co. KG
Kestrel Foods Ltd
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
1. Report Scope 1
2. Executive summary 3
3. The UK in the global and regional context 5
3.1. The UK’s share in the Global and Western European Savory Snacks sector 5
3.2. The UK compared to other leading countries in Western Europe 6
4. Market size analysis – Savory Snacks sector 7
4.1. Value and volume analysis – Savory Snacks sector in the UK 7
4.2. Per capita consumption – the UK compared to Western Europe and globally 8
4.3. Value and volume analysis of markets in the Savory Snacks sector 9
4.4. Growth analysis by markets 10
5. Market and category analysis 11
5.1. Per capita consumption analysis by markets 11
5.2. Market analysis: Ethnic/Traditional Snacks 12
5.3. Market analysis: Meat Snacks 13
5.4. Market analysis: Nuts and Seeds 14
5.5. Market analysis: Popcorn 16
5.6. Market analysis: Potato Chips 18
5.7. Market analysis: Pretzels 19
5.8. Market analysis: Processed Snacks 20
6. Distribution analysis 23
6.1. Distribution channel share analysis: Savory Snacks 23
6.2. Distribution channel share analysis: Ethnic/Traditional Snacks 24
6.3. Distribution channel share analysis: Meat Snacks 25
6.4. Distribution channel share analysis: Nuts and Seeds 26
6.5. Distribution channel share analysis: Popcorn 27
6.6. Distribution channel share analysis: Potato Chips 28
6.7. Distribution channel share analysis: Pretzels 29
6.8. Distribution channel share analysis: Processed Snacks 30
7. Competitive landscape 31
7.1. Brand share analysis by sector 31
7.2. Brand share analysis by markets 38
7.3. Brand share analysis by category 51
7.3.1. Nuts and Seeds 51
7.3.2. Popcorn 54
7.3.3. Processed Snacks 56
7.4. Private label share analysis 60
8. Health & Wellness analysis 62
8.1. Market size analysis by Health & Wellness claims 62
8.2. Market share analysis – Health & Wellness product attributes 63
8.3. Market size analysis – Health & Wellness consumer benefits 65
8.4. Leading companies in UK Health & Wellness market 67
9. Packaging analysis 71
9.1. Packaging share and growth analysis by package material 71
9.2. Packaging share analysis by package material 72
9.3. Packaging share and growth analysis by pack type 73
9.4. Packaging share analysis by pack type 74
9.5. Packaging share and growth analysis by closure type 75
9.6. Packaging share analysis by closure type 76
10. Macroeconomic analysis 77
10.1. GDP per Capita 80
10.2. Population and population growth 81
10.3. Consumer Price Index 82
10.4. Population breakdown by age 83
11. Consumergraphics 84
11.1. Consumption by Gender 84
11.2. Consumption by Age 85
11.3. Consumption by Education 86
11.4. Consumption by Urbanization 87
12. Methodology 88
13. Definitions 89
14. Appendix 100
15. About GlobalData 114
16. Disclaimer 115
17. Contact Us 116
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.