Country Profile: Syrups & Spreads in Italy
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
The Italian syrups & spreads sector is led by the sweet spreads category in both value and volume terms, while the syrups category is expected to register the fastest value and volume growth during 2017-2022. Hypermarkets & supermarkets is the leading channel for the distribution of syrups & spreads in the country. Glass is the most commonly used pack material in the sector, while flexible packaging is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2017-2022. Ferrero, 'Rigoni Di Asiago Spa', and 'Ambrosoli S.p.A' are the leading market players in the Italian syrups & spreads sector.
GlobalData’s Country Profile report on the syrups & spreads sector in Italy provides insights on high growth categories to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
What else is contained?
– Sector data: Overall sector value and volume data with growth analysis for 2012-2022
– Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for ‘jams, jellies & preserves’, molasses, savory spreads, sweet spreads, and syrups with inputs on individual segment share within each category and the change in their market share forecast for 2017-2022
– Leading players: Market share of brands in value terms in 2017
– Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each category through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
– Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each category, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Pack material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, Rigid metal and others; Pack data for: Bottle, Can,Tub, Bag/Sachet, and Jar.
– Per capita consumption of syrups & spreads in Italy is higher compared to global level in 2017
– Sweet spreads is the leading category in both value and volume terms in the Italian syrups & spreads sector
– Hypermarkets & supermarkets is the largest distribution channel
– Nutella is the leading brand in the sector with a value share of 19.1% in 2017
– Glass is the most commonly used pack material in the Italian syrups & spreads sector.
Reasons to Buy
– Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
– Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
– Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
– Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
– Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
– The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
– Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as real GDP, nominal GDP, consumer price index, household consumption expenditure, population (by age group, gender, rural-urban split, and employed people and unemployment rate. It also includes economic summary of the country along with labor market and demographic trends.
Rigoni Di Asiago Spa
Andros Group Inc.
The Zuegg Group
Sano Bruno`s Enterprises Ltd
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Report scope 2-3
Executive summary 11-13
Italy in the global and regional context 14-18
Italy in the global and Western Europe syrups & spreads sector 15
Italy compared to other leading countries in Western Europe 16
Per capita consumption and expenditure – Italy compared to Western Europe and global levels 17
Sector analysis – syrups & spreads 18-36
Country snapshot – syrups & spreads sector in Italy 19
Value and volume analysis – syrups & spreads sector in Italy 20
Cross category comparison – value and growth rate 21
Change in category share by value 22
Cross category comparison – volume and growth rate 23
Change in category share by volume 24
Per capita consumption analysis by category 25
Category analysis: ‘jams, jellies & preserves’ 26
Segment analysis (in value terms): ‘jams, jellies & preserves’ 27
Segment analysis (in volume terms): ‘jams, jellies & preserves’ 28
Category analysis: molasses 29
Category analysis: savory spreads 30
Segment analysis (in value terms): savory spreads 31
Segment analysis (in volume terms): savory spreads 32
Category analysis: sweet spreads 33
Segment analysis (in value terms): sweet spreads 34
Segment analysis (in volume terms): sweet spreads 35
Category analysis: syrups 36
Distribution analysis 37-39
Distribution channel share analysis: syrups & spreads 38
Distribution channel share analysis by category 38-39
Competitive landscape 40-47
Brand share analysis by sector 41
Brand share analysis by category 42-44
Private label share analysis by category 45
Growth of private labels compared to branded products 46
Degree of consolidation/fragmentation by category 47
Health & Wellness 48-52
Health & wellness trend analysis 49
Health & wellness analysis by product attribute 50
Health & wellness analysis by consumer benefit 51
Category comparison – with health & wellness and without health & wellness 52
Packaging analysis 53-56
Pack material 54
Pack type 55
Closure type 56
The Italian syrups & spreads sector – demographic analysis 58
Macroeconomic analysis 59-65
Economic summary, labor market trends, and demographic trends 63
GlobalData country risk index (GCRI) 64-65
Frequently asked questions
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.