Cryptocurrencies – Thematic Intelligence
All the vital news, analysis, and commentary curated by our industry experts.
Access and explore in-depth trends and insights in our ‘Cryptocurrencies – Thematic Intelligence’ report:
- A comprehensive industry analysis, including market size and growth forecasts for cryptocurrency revenues to 2030.
- Key trends impacting the growth of the theme over the next 12 to 24 months, split into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- Analysis of GlobalData’s proprietary signals data – including M&A trends and predictions, venture financing trends, patent trends, company filing, hiring, and social media trends.
- Detailed cryptocurrency value chain consisting of four layers: infrastructure, blockchain, application, and services, each with multiple sub-categories.
How is the ‘Cryptocurrencies – Thematic Intelligence’ report different from other reports in the market?
- The report adapts a neutral stance towards cryptocurrencies, underlining both their transformative potential and the major challenges that need to be addressed.
- This report is the perfect introduction to the controversial and fast-moving cryptocurrency theme. It will help readers make sense of the technology behind cryptocurrencies, understand the potential implications of the theme, avoid the pitfalls, and identify the leading players.
- Given the dynamic and fast-paced nature of the cryptocurrency landscape, staying updated is paramount. This report provides up-to-the-minute insights and analysis, helping readers stay ahead of the curve in this rapidly evolving space.
- Not all cryptocurrencies are created equal. This report will help businesses understand the different features and benefits of each type.
- The cryptocurrency ecosystem is bigger than you think. This report provides a strategic framework that sets out what you should do, based on how cryptocurrencies could impact your business.
- Investing in cryptocurrency is a high-risk, high-reward proposition, and this report will help you understand the risks involved before you make any investment decisions. It will also provide insights into the different ways to buy, sell, and hold cryptocurrency.
- The pace of innovation in the crypto space is staggering. This report will highlight how cryptocurrency is related to many major technology trends such as NFTs, DeFi, the Metaverse, Web3, and more.
We recommend this valuable source of information to anyone involved in:
- Technology Leaders and Startups
- Banking Services/Alternative Payment Platforms
- Retailers/Businesses and Corporations
- Business Development and Market Intelligence
- Investment Analysts and Portfolio Managers
- Professional Services – Investment Banks, PE/VC Firms
- M&A/Investment, Management Consultants, and Consulting Firms
To get a snapshot of the cryptocurrencies thematic intelligence report, download a free report sample
Cryptocurrencies Market Thematic Report Overview
Cryptocurrency is a technology theme that sparks intense debates and divides opinions. For proponents, crypto represents an opportunity for significant wealth accumulation through value appreciation or new services like decentralized lending. Some also view it as a way to express discontent with issues ranging from financial bailouts to privacy infringements.
Conversely, critics contend that the fundamental question of whether cryptocurrencies have any inherent value remains unanswered and that the volatility of many tokens undermines the proposition of crypto as a distinct asset class separate from traditional financial assets.
The cryptocurrencies thematic intelligence report provides the key trends impacting the growth of the cryptocurrencies theme over the next 12 to 24 months. The report also includes a comprehensive industry analysis, including market size and growth forecasts for cryptocurrency revenues to 2030. It also offers an analysis of M&A, venture financing, patent, company filing, hiring, and social media.
|Market Size (May 16, 2023)||$1.1 Trillion|
|Leading Companies||· Binance
|Enquire & Decide||Discover the perfect solution for your business needs. Enquire now and let us help you make an informed decision before making a purchase.|
Cryptocurrencies - Key Trends
The main trends shaping the cryptocurrencies industry are classified into three categories: technology trends, macroeconomic trends, and regulatory trends.
- Technology trends: The key technology trends impacting the cryptocurrencies theme are web3, NFTs, social tokens, decentralized finance (DeFi), and the Metaverse among others. The amount and pace of innovation in the cryptocurrency space are staggering with new and highly complex concepts regularly emerging.
- Macroeconomic trends: The key macroeconomic trends explained in the report are ESG, cryptocurrency exchange traded funds (ETFs), and corporate treasury among others.
- Regulatory trends: Concerns over scams, regulations imposed by various countries, and illicit activities are a part of the regulatory trends impacting the cryptocurrencies theme.
Cryptocurrencies – Industry Analysis
The cryptocurrencies market was valued at $1.1 trillion on May 16, 2023. While the buzz around cryptocurrency might suggest it is significantly disrupting traditional finance, that is far from the truth. Despite 2021 being a record-breaking year for crypto and its development into what many believe is a new asset class, it remains in its infancy. For instance, Bernard Arnault, the wealthiest individual globally, could personally buy most bitcoins in circulation. Although often dubbed as digital gold, bitcoin’s value would need to multiply 25 times to match the value of gold as of May 16, 2023.
The cryptocurrencies industry thematic intelligence report also covers:
- Mergers and acquisitions trends
- Patent trends
- Company filings trends
- Hiring trends
- Social media trends
For more insights into the cryptocurrencies market, download a free report sample
Cryptocurrencies – Value Chain
The main components of the cryptocurrencies industry value chain are infrastructure, blockchain, application, and centralized applications.
Infrastructure: The infrastructure layer focuses exclusively on the categories related to cryptocurrency mining, including mining rigs, mining software, application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), and cryptocurrency mining farms. The other categories of the infrastructure layer are covered in our blockchain report, including traditional server hardware, plug-and-play nodes, client software, central processing units (CPUs), graphics processing units (GPUs), field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), hard disk drives (HDD), solid-state drives (SSD), on-premise data centers, and centralized cloud infrastructure.
The Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Value Chains Overlap
For more insights into the cryptocurrencies market, download a free report sample
To know more about the leading companies in the cryptocurrencies theme, download a free report sample
Payments Sector Scorecard
At GlobalData, we use a scorecard approach to predict tomorrow’s leading companies within each sector. Our sector scorecard has three screens: a thematic screen, a valuation screen, and a risk screen.
- The thematic screen ranks companies based on overall leadership in the 10 themes that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future performance.
- The valuation screen ranks our universe of companies within a sector based on selected valuation metrics.
- The risk screen ranks companies within a particular sector based on overall investment risk.
Payments Sector Scorecard
To know more about sector scorecards, download a free report sample
- Despite the 2022 crypto winter, both institutional interest and the number of retail users have grown, with governments positioning themselves as crypto hubs. The regulatory narrative has shifted significantly in favor of cryptocurrencies, moving from calls for outright bans to a focus on proper regulation. The EU is leading the way with its Markets in Crypto-Assets (MiCA) bill, which will introduce tougher but more consistent rules for crypto companies across the EU. Additionally, the crypto space continues to experience rapid innovation, from new token types to scalability solutions.
- The cryptocurrency market is challenging to track. It is one of the world’s most polarizing technologies, contributing to endless debate. Crypto is also a nascent industry, subject to high volatility and primarily driven by speculation. The industry has, however, come a long way in just a couple of years, and the pace of innovation is extraordinary. Crypto adoption and institutional interest have grown rapidly, and governments are making progress on regulation. Despite this progress, crypto has a long way to go before it achieves mainstream adoption.
Bank of America
Caleb & Brown
Deutsche Börse Group
Digital Currency Group
Fidelity Digital Assets
Genesis Digital Assets
Gryphon Digital Mining
HIVE Blockchain Technologies
Hut 8 Mining
Marathon Digital Holdings
Mawson Infrastructure Group
Siam Commercial Bank
Silicon Valley Bank
State of the dApps
Stronghold Digital Mining
The Daily HODL
Three Arrows Capital
University of Cambridge
US Bitcoin Corp
Victory Park Capital
Table of Contents
- 1. Executive Summary
- 2. Players
- 3. Technology Briefing
- 4. Trends
- 4.1. Technology trends
- 4.2. Macroeconomic trends
- 4.3. Regulatory trends
- 5. Industry Analysis
- 5.1. Market size and growth forecasts
- 5.2. Timeline
- 6. Signals
- 6.1. Mergers and acquisitions trends
- 6.2. Venture financing trends
- 6.3. Patent trends
- 6.4. Company filings trends
- 6.5. Hiring trends
- 6.6. Social media trends
- 7. Value Chain
- 7.1. Infirsturucture layer
- 7.2. Blockchain layer
- 7.3. Application layer
- 7.4. Services layer
- 8. Companies
- 9. Sector Scorecards
- 10. Glossary
- 11. Further Reading
- 12. Our Thematic Research Methodology
- 13. About GlobalData
- 14. Contact Us
Frequently asked questions
What is the size of the cryptocurrencies market?
The cryptocurrencies market was valued at $1.1 trillion on May 16, 2023.
What are the key technology trends impacting the cryptocurrencies theme?
The key technology trends impacting the cryptocurrencies theme are web3, NFTs, and Metaverse among others. The amount and pace of innovation in the cryptocurrency space are staggering. New highly complex concepts are regularly emerging. The ecosystem will look very different in a few years.
Which are the leading companies making their mark in the cryptocurrencies theme?
Binance, Bitfinex, Chainalysis, Circle, Coinbase, and ConsenSys among others are the leading companies impacting the cryptocurrencies theme.
Tel +44 20 7947 2745
Every customer’s requirement is unique. With over 220,000 construction projects tracked, we can create a tailored dataset for you based on the types of projects you are looking for. Please get in touch with your specific requirements and we can send you a quote.
Business Intelligence & Marketing Manager, SAL Heavy Lift
“The GlobalData platform is our go-to tool for intelligence services. GlobalData provides an easy way to access comprehensive intelligence data around multiple sectors, which essentially makes it a one-for-all intelligence platform, for tendering and approaching customers.
GlobalData is very customer orientated, with a high degree of personalised services, which benefits everyday use. The highly detailed project intelligence and forecast reports can be utilised across multiple departments and workflow scopes, from operational to strategic level, and often support strategic decisions. GlobalData Analytics and visualisation solutions has contributed positively when preparing management presentations and strategic papers.”
Market Analyst & Management, Liebherr-Werk
“COVID-19 has caused significant interference to our business and the COVID-19 intelligence from GlobalData has helped us reach better decisions around strategy. These two highlights have helped enormously to understand the projections into the future concerning our business units, we also utilise the project database to source new projects for Liebherr-Werk to use as an additional source to pitch for new business.”
Head of Key Accounts, Saab AB
Your daily news has saved me a lot of time and keeps me up-to-date with what is happening in the market, I like that you almost always have a link to the source origin. We also use your market data in our Strategic Business Process to support our business decisions. By having everything in one place on the Intelligence Center it has saved me a lot of time versus looking on different sources, the alert function also helps with this.
Marketing Intelligence Manager, Portugal Foods
Having used several other market research companies, I find that GlobalData manages to provide that ‘difficult-to-get’ market data that others can’t, as well as very diverse and complete consumer surveys.
Head of Customer Insight and Research, Standard Chartered
Our experience with GlobalData has been very good, from the platform itself to the people. I find that the analysts and the account team have a high level of customer focus and responsiveness and therefore I can always rely on. The platform is more holistic than other providers. It is convenient and almost like a one stop shop. The pricing suite is highly competitive and value for our organisation.
I like reports that inform new segments such as the analysis on generation Z, millennials, the impact of COVID 19 to our banking customers and their new channel habits. Secondly the specialist insight on affluent sector significantly increases our understanding about this group of customers. The combination of those give us depth and breadth of the evolving market.
I’m in the business of answering and helping people make decisions so with the intelligence center I can do that, effectively and efficiently. I can share quickly key insights that answer and satisfy our country stakeholders by giving them many quality studies and primary research about competitive landscape beyond the outlook of our bank. It helps me be seen as an advisory partner and that makes a big difference. A big benefit of our subscription is that no one holds the whole data and because it allows so many people, so many different parts of our organisation have access, it enables all teams to have the same level of knowledge and decision support.
Head of Consumer Sensory Insights, Givaudan
“I know that I can always rely on Globaldata’s work when I’m searching for the right consumer and market insights. I use Globaldata insights to understand the changing market & consumer landscape and help create better taste & wellbeing solutions for our customers in food, beverage and healthcare industries.
Globaldata has the right data and the reports are of very high quality compared to your competitors. Globaldata not only has overall market sizes & consumer insights on food & beverages but also provides insights at the ingredient & flavour level. That is key for B2B companies like Givaudan. This way we understand our customers’ business and also gain insight to our unique industry”
Senior Account Manager, TSYS
GlobalData provides a great range of information and reports on various sectors that is highly relevant, timely, easy to access and utilise. The reports and data dashboards help engagement with clients; they provide valuable industry and market insights that can enrich client conversations and can help in the shaping of value propositions. Moreover, using GlobalData products has helped increase my knowledge of the finance sector, the players within it, and the general threats and opportunities.
I find the consumer surveys that are carried out to be extremely beneficial and not something I have seen anywhere else. They provided an insightful view of why and which consumers take (or don’t) particular financial products. This can help shape conversations with clients to ensure they make the right strategic decisions for their business.
One of the challenges I have found is that data in the payments space is often piecemeal. With GD all of the data I need is in one place, but it also comes with additional market reports that provide useful extra context and information. Having the ability to set-up alerts on relevant movements in the industry, be it competitors or customers, and have them emailed directly to me, ensures I get early sight of industry activity and don’t have to search for news.